Originally part of the 1902 Mutual Savings Bank, the eleventh floor now known as One Kearny Club is distinguished by a series of exposed vertical trusses rising from floor to ceiling that reflect the building’s mansard roof configuration. The project encompasses a business center, conference facility and a commercial kitchen. Flexible, reconfigurable furnishings allow the space to change as needed.
Great care was taken to modernize the space while protecting the rich historical fabric of the existing environment. New ceiling slots were created to provide a visual alignment from one truss to the next, while concealing lighting, mechanical and AV systems. By exposing the steel trusses, the design displays and recognizes the important aspects of the building’s history, such as the overall steel-frame construction, which was a revolutionary structural system for its time.
Although original drawings are non-existent, it is assumed that the eleventh floor was part of the attic/storage area, where structural members would typically remain unfinished. In keeping with this treatment, the dark, charcoal colored steel trusses—an homage to the building’s exterior dark bronze accent— are a striking contrast to the clean white ceiling plane and smooth finished walls. The floors are end grain Douglas fir, a tribute to historic industrial buildings.
A play of light and dark complements the palette of furnishings supplied by Herman Miller/Geiger. A grayscale collection of contemporary sofas with bright accents from Maharam is further paired with other classic pieces, including Eames’ walnut stools and grey leather aluminum chairs, Nelson coconut chairs and tables, and classic Ward Bennett Sled chairs and tables.
Like the various merged styles of the building, the interior architecture of the One Kearny Club is sympathetic to the styles of both the original building built in 1902, the Charles Moore annex built in 1964 and the present.